Friday, June 3, 2011

Pabakal


Pabakal (Pabili/ Let me buy)
Acrylic on Canvas 15'x19'


Second to my untitled Pinoy gallery, Pabakal is so far the hardest one I painted. I challenge myself to make a painting with lots of details, because adding details is one of my weakness in doing a masterpiece.

Pabakal is a Bikolano term meaning pabili in Filipino. When translated in English, it means "let me buy" or a direction to purchase. The word is commonly used when buying in a sari-sari store or a variety store. Sari-sari store is a convenient store of every Filipinos in all social classes. Most of it can be found along the neighborhood or in every street. Sari-sari store is already part of the Pinoy Culture that's why I decided to paint such a scene.


Repacked mixed nuts and junkfoods.

Chips and snack foods, sachets of shampoos and laudry soap

A phrase saying "Bukas pwede ang utang!" meaning "tomorrow you can lend".
This phrase is can be seen in almost sari-sari store ("Bawal utang ngayon, bukas pwede"). The point is you cannot lend today but you can come back tomorrow. Then,
when you're back, read it again and you cannot lend but tomorrow. Very funny and witty way to avoid mangungutang (borrower).

Canned goods, cooking mix,
bottled soy sauce and vinegar
bottled softdrinks

candies


This painting is not a promotional painting or whatsoever because of the brand names and products I put. I just want to show what's a typical Filipino sari-sari store looks like in an almost reality in painting. A typical sari-sari store is colorful because of these commodities.

I decided to put two children buying for something in the pink sari-sari store. Actually, my aunt's store is painted with pink so I just made my store in canvas pink. I know, almost all Filipino children experienced buying in a sari-sari store and repeatedly shouted "Pabakal!" while knocking using a coin they were holding until the store owner comes. This is part of the transaction in buying in a sari-sari store. Children are the most of the buyers because, first, parent's errands, and second, for the sweets and snack foods.

Pabakal is a masterpiece that I can say a worth full of childhood memories and a colorful way to value our own economically and always ready sari-sari stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment